April 25, 2020 Good Morning!

Psalms 55

For the director of Music.
With Stringed Instruments. 
A Maskil of David

Listen to my prayer, O God, do not ignore my plea;
hear me and answer me
My thoughts trouble me and I am distraught
because of what my enemy is saying,
because of of the threats of the wicked; 
for they bring down suffering on me
and assail me in their anger.

My heart is in anguish within me; 
horror has overwhelmed me. 

I said, Oh, that I had the wings of a dove!

I would fly away and be at rest, 
I would flee far away
and stay in the desert; 
I would hurry to my place of shelter, 
far from the tempest and storm.

Lord, confuse the wicked, confound their words, 
for I see violence and strife in the city. 
Day and night they prowl about on its walls;
malice and abuse are within it, 
Destructive forces are at work in the city; 
threats and lies never leave its streets.

If an enemy were insulting me, 
I could endure it;
if a foe were rising against me, 
I could hide.

But it is you, a man like myself
My companion, my close friend, 
with whom I once enjoyed sweet fellowship
at the house of God, as we walked about among 
the worshipers. 

let death teak my enemies by surprise; 
let them go down alive to the realm of the dead, 
for evil finds lodging among them. 

As for me, I call to God, 
and the Lord saves me. 
Evening, morning, and noon, 
I cry out in distress, and he hears my voice. 

He recuses me unharmed from the battle waged against me, 
even though many oppose me. 

God, who is enthroned from of old, 
who does not change---
he will hear them and humble them, 
because they have no fear of God. 

My companion attacks his friends, 
he violates his covenant
His talk is smooth as butter, 
yet war is in his heart;
his words are more soothing than oil, 
yet they are drawn swords.

Cast your cares on the Lord
and he will sustain you; 
He will never let the righteous be shaken.

But you, God, will bring down the wicked
into the pit of decay;
the bloodthirsty and deceitful will not live
out half their days

But as for me, I trust in you.


CONSISTENT THEMES

  • Prayer for protection
  • He does not trust in his money, his shield, or his means but he trust in God.
  • the wicked are constantly against the righteous
  • David does not attempt to fight for himself or trust himself that he can fight but he pleas with God. 
  • He ask for God to deal with the wicked. 
  • (New Testament) Avenge not yourself but give place to God (his judgement) he will repay your enemies. 
  • God weighs the heart, he is the righteous judge. We have no clue why people do what they do. Its better for God to deal with it. 
  • He puts all matters of people and problems in God's hands.
  • He is known as a good man
  • He is known as a man who trusted in God
  • A companion is not like a lover but it is a friendship among men. A person who companies you places or travel together.
  • The study bible reveals that these men wanted David killed.
  • The wickeds anger leads them to want to kill righteous people. 
  • I am not sure how the devil gets in their minds but he convinces them to hurt and kill righteous people.
  • We see the same things with Jesus and the wicked Religious leaders. 
  • He is not gossiping or trying to get his enemy but he is giving his enemy to God. 





Luke 
Chapter 1
Mary and Elizabeth 

In the sixth month of Elizabeth's pregnancy, God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a town in Galilee, to a virgin pledged to be married to a man named Joseph, a descendant of David. 

The virgins name was Mary. The angel went to her and said, Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you. 

Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be. But the angel said to her, Do not be afraid, Mary; you have found favor with God. You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most high. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over Jacob's descendants forever; his kingdom will never end. 

How will this be, Mary asked the angel, since I am a virgin?

The angel answered, The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most high will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the son of God. Even Elizabeth your relative is going to have a child in her old age, and she who was said to be unable to conceive is in her sixth month. For no word from God will never ever fail. 

I am the Lord's servant, Mary answered. May your word to me be fulfilled. Then the angel left her. 

MARY VISIT TO ELIZABETH

At that time Mary got ready and hurried to town in the hill country of Judea, where she entered Zechariah's home and greeted Elizabeth, When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. 

In a loud voiced she exclaimed:

Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear! But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me

As soon as the sound of the greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy. Blessed is she who has believed that that the Lord would fulfill his promises to her!

(God blessed these two women for believing God) ( I can image that Luke found Mary or others who knew them and asked about the experience; this writing does not seem like an eye witness account)

MARY'S SONG

And Mary said, 

My soul glories in the Lord
and my spirit rejoices in God 
my savior,
for he has been mindful
of the humble state of his servant
From now on all generations will call me blessed, 
for the might one has done great things for me
holy is his name.
His mercy extends to those who fear him,
from generation to generation.
He has performed might deeds with his arm
He has scattered those who are proud in 
their inmost thoughts.
He has brought down rulers from their thrones,
but has lifted up the humble.
He has filled the hungry with good things.
but he has sent the rich away empty.
He has helped his servant Israel, 
remembering to be merciful
to Abraham descendants forever, 
just as he promised our ancestors


Mary stayed with Elizabeth for about three months and then returned home. 

( I found it joyful that God is so intentional. Joseph the man Mary was to marry was a descendant of David) I am sure that carrying the savior she needed a righteous man, she would need protection, support, and somebody to put food on the table, so she could have a good delivery. I am sure that Joseph needed God. Pregnancy itself is a special moment and how much more did she know she was carrying the Messiah. Once again he is honoring King David blood line.)

THE BIRTH OF JOHN THE BAPTIST

When it was time for Elizabeth to have her baby, she gave birth to a son. Her neighbors and relatives heard that the Lord had shown her great mercy, and they shared her joy. 

On the eighth day they came to circumcised the child, they were going to name after his father Zechariah, but his mother spoke up and said, NO! He is to be called John. 

They said to her, There is no one among your relatives that have that name. Then they made signs to his father, to find out what he would like to name the child. He asked for a writing tablet, and to everyone's astonishment he wrote, His name is John. 

Immediately his mouth was opened and his tongue set free, and he began to speak praising God. All the neighbors were filled with awe, and through out the hill country of Judea people were talking about all these things. Everyone who heard this wondered about it, asking, What then is this child going to be? For the Lord's hand was with him. 

ZECHARIAH'S SONG

His father Zechariah was filled with the Holy Spirit and prophesied.

Praise be to the Lord,
the God of Israel,
because he has come to his people
and redeemed them. 
He has raised up a horn of salvation
for us
in the house of his servant David
as he said through his holy Prophets
of long ago, 
salvation from our enemies
and from the hand of all who hate 
us---
to show mercy to our ancestors
and to remember his holy covenant,
the oath he swore to our father Abraham:
to rescue us from the hand of our enemies
and to enable us to serve him,
without fear
in holiness 
and righteousness before him all our days. 

And you, my child, will be called a prophet of the Most High;
for you will go on before the Lord to prepare the way for him, 
to give his people the knowledge of salvation through the forgiveness of sins, because of the tender mercy of our God, by which the rising sun will come to us from heaven to shine on those living in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the path of peace.

And the child grew and became strong in spirit, and he lived in the wilderness until he appeared publicly to Israel. 

John purpose

  • prepare the way for Jesus Christ
  • identify the Messiah
  • the people loved John so his word carried weight.
  • He was not a liar; he was a man of God; his lifestyle testified that he was sent from God. He was respected among the community.
  • He is a key person
  • He is chosen by God
  • Blessed in his mothers womb
  • When Jesus comes to him immediately he knows who he is; he leaped in the womb at six months when Mary arrived. He knows him already. 
  • It seems like they were about one year or less apart in age
  • the Lord begin ministry at 30 so John was probably was 31
  • Elizabeth was six month pregnant when Mary arrived at her home.
  • Both set of parents released and support their sons giving them  to God. 
  • They share similarities. 
  • Elizabeth is a mother who sees her son die for telling the truth. He told the truth and it was his crime.
  • Mary is a mother who sees her son die for the world. 
  • Both Fathers had to submit the sons to be groomed and given over to God for service and not after themselves. 

Comments

Popular posts