February 18, 2021

 Topic: Prayer and Praise

Selfishness hinders prayer. 

Lk 18:9-14

To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everyone else, Jesus told the parable: Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: God I thank you that I am not like other people; robbers, evil doers, adulterers or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and I give a tenth of all I get. But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, God have mercy on me, a sinner. I tell you this man, rather than other when home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted. 

1. The Pharisee did good things and he stands as one who feels entitled to God or justified by God because of his doings. He is praying about how good he is and how bad everyone else is. His focus is himself. He is selfish. It's not even about praise to God. He praised himself. Can you image thinking and praying. Lord look how great I am. I am not like other men. I am better. 

2. The tax collector knows his guilt incomparison to God's righteousness. His focus is I am a man not worthy. He lowers himself. Not lowering himself in comparison to other men but to God. He stands before a Holy God. What man can stand before God. Even the best fall short.

What do you take away from the parable?

It reminds me of one important fact: we cannot compare ourselves to others. God sees beyond what we see. One man was obviously doing good things and the other bad things. What is God looking at?

He sees what we cannot see in each other. The heart of both men. Only one man walked away justified. Justified and forgiven. I am assuming the Pharisee had sin too but his focus is on the things he does right. The tax collector does not mention his own deeds but he humbles himself.

God does not have people in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place but he has all people in one place (in Jesus Christ). When we pray. It's not about other men but its between us and God. It's easy to look good incomparison to sinners but what about self less thoughts.


Have a great day! 



Comments

Popular posts